<---Looking for my writing blog Will Write For Cookies? There's a handy little link to it just over there on the left-hand side.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A Tale of Two Owners

Our beloved cat, Shadow, got in a fight. After a few days, he wasn't doing so well and was looking pretty infected and lethargic. We decided we ought to take him to a vet. He must have heard, because he then decided to hide in the 3 1/2 inch high space below our playhouse between the hours of 9 am and 7 pm (the hours the vet is open). Finally, on a Friday, he was around during daylight hours, and I seized the opportunity to shove gently place him in a cat carrier.

I took him into the vet at the back of Petsmart (btw, GREAT vet, if you're looking for one), and soon I felt someone standing behind me in line, listening to the following conversation between me and the kind lady at the counter (who, incidentally, was blessedly VERY nonjudgmental) :

Me: Hi. My cat got into a fight and his infected eye is looking pretty bad. By his ear got hurt, too, but that one's mostly better.

[I place said cat on the counter. He happens to be a long haired cat who has been living on the bare ground in a small space for the better part of a week. Because of his lethargy, he hasn't spent a great deal of time on personal grooming besides the constant wiping away of infection. He has burrs, twigs, and leaves wrapped up like bows in his clumped hair. In short, he's looking like the kind of cat that you cross to the other side of the alley for when you see him, afraid you might catch something nasty just by being near him.]

Kind Lady: Wow, yeah. He looks pretty bad. How long ago did he get hurt?

Me: Um... about a week ago? I think? I would have brought him in a couple of days ago, but we couldn't find him.

Kind Lady: Has he had his shots?

Me: Um. He had some when he was a few months old.

Kind Lady: So, he's gotten his newborn shots, but no others. Do you know anything about the cat who attacked him?

Me: Not at all. He doesn't exactly stay at home.

Kind Lady: Does he get in fights often?

Me: Yeah-- this isn't even close to his first time getting hurt, it's just the worst time.

Kind Lady: I understand. Don't worry, we'll get him taken care of.

I turn around and smile at the lady standing behind me who is holding a puffball of a dog. Her dog is perfectly groomed and wearing a sweater AND a scarf.

Dog Owner to Kind Lady: Hi. This is my little schnookums. She woke up this morning with her voice sounding a little bit raspy. Can you have the doctor take a look at her?

3 comments:

tammy said...

If it makes you feel any better, I am totally you and never have been, nor ever will be, the lady behind you. Luckily, cats are also tenacious.

Ella said...

OH, is your cat OK now? That's sad when they are that injured. My cat, when I had a cat, impelled her self on something one day , and I don't know what, but she had a hole in her belly about 2 inch long and she was bleeding horrible. Yuck! I ended up taking her in to the vet. I hate spending money on pets they are so expensive, but that is part of being a pet owner I guess. If I took my little pooky of a dog in when she looked like she would become sick I would have duchess in for sneezing and her guber eyes, and stuff yuck totally normal thing for a dog her breed. That lady with the well groomed doggy behind you gag, please a little raspy are you serious.

kellieanne said...

Okay, I'm trying to stop the laughing. Not at you but the dog lady behind you. I love animals as much as then next Mom, but I don't even take my own children in to see the doctor if they wake up with a raspy voice in the morning. I tell them to get a drink of water and don't bug me about it again. Well, I at least tell them to get a drink of water and don't immediately take them to the doctor.