We figured they were having a drill, but we shut our door anyway (there's no lock on it, so we were kind of hoping there weren't any crazed lunatics in the school). We finished the crate we were doing, but before sending the two cute little kids that were in the room with us back to their classrooms, we called the office for permission. They said to keep them there, asked for their names, and told us it is not a drill.
So, we hung out, of course dying to find out what was going on. Soon, we started discussing the merits of one of us walking up to the office to get some intel (after all, what were they gonna do? They're not the boss of us!), when we looked out the window, and saw two uniformed officers, and one was carrying a rifle!!
Shortly after the call came telling the teachers they could unlock their doors, we got our answer from mom who had been locked in the office during the police action. Apparently, a parent was dropping their kid off at school, and saw another kid walking in with their civil war reinactment marshmallow rifle. This parent freaked out, called 911, and said a that kid was taking a gun into the school!
Now I should add that the school handled the event beautifully! It was quite impressive, really. And it's always better to be safe than sorry. And really, who doesn't like a little excitement in their day every now and then?
I thought I'd be helpful, so I have included the instructions in case you want to make your own marshmallow rifle. If you do, though, I highly recommend you don't walk around the outside of a school holding it!

2 comments:
No way! Ok, really, not to be rude, but that mom is a FREAK! Who cant tell the difference between a real gun and a marshmellow rifle?!? I have a marshmellow rifle and believe me, Me, who knows nothing about guns, would never get the two confused. hahahahaha...I bet that lady feels like a really A 1 WEENIE!
I got to experience the lockdown while in my daughter's classroom. I have to say kudos to all the teachers that acted so quickly. A special kudos to Gabby's teacher for staying cool and keeping her worry in check so the kids didn't get freaked out. I got to watch her true reaction to a real lockdown and I have to say, I was impressed.
I'm kindof torn on the calling 911. I would rather it be a mistake than have a Mom dismiss her worry. Though, I think it is pretty easy to tell the difference between the two.
Post a Comment