<---Looking for my writing blog Will Write For Cookies? There's a handy little link to it just over there on the left-hand side.

Thursday, October 16, 2008

J Scott Savage Visit

Tonight, we got to do one of my very favorite things-- hang out with an author! Just how far did I have to drive to get this privilege, do you ask? Only to the church! How cool is that? J. Scott Savage (author of Far World, found right now in your local bookstore :-)) came to our ward's pack meeting. How cool is he? I'll answer that with a "pretty dang."

Anyway, he did some magic tricks, and Alecia got to be one of his helpers! She was pretty excited about that. It was impressive that she volunteered, given the fact that he prefaced the request for volunteers with a "but you have to be willing to be embarrassed," and she took that to mean "I'm going to do something that will make your pants all wet." Turns out she wasn't embarrassed at all, just very excited.


I'm very excited to read the book to them. There's nothing like being a kid and reading a book when you have met the author of said book. When it was all done, he signed posters for the kids, and signed our book. It was a lot of fun! We even got to be first in line to get our stuff signed. (That was WAY cooler than the 2 1/2 hours we waited on Tuesday to get Brandon Sanderson to sign our books!) I think I probably owe Amber a tasty homemade treat for lining this "treat" up for us!

3 comments:

JoMamma said...

Alecia has such an awesome attitude. I love hearing your stories and seeing how outgoing she is. You have one brave daughter. I wish I would have been a bit braver growing up. Good job at raising a confident daughter.

Kristine said...

Sounds like it was tons of fun! Wish I could have been there. I love meeting authors too. Just something cool about meeting the people who create things I like.

Peggy Eddleman said...

As much as I would love to take credit for Alecia's confidence and bravery, it's all her. She was just born that way. Plus, if I took credit for her willingness to stand up and be noticed, I'd also have to take credit for another of mine's deep seeded fear of doing the same. And suddenly, I'm wondering if it really is "deep seeded," or "deep seated." Hmmm....