Come to find out my kids only actually eat walnuts when they find them on the ground, still in the shell. (I blame the same instincts that make people want to fish. Good ole hunter and gatherer genes at work.)
So now, (dang those warehouse stores!) I have a HUMONGOUS bag of walnuts. I'm not kidding-- it's huge! It takes like three people to lift it.
Any ideas of what to do with them?

14 comments:
Banana bread. Seriously, that's all I can think of. Sorry. I really like banana bread.....
Brownies, fudge, cookies too!!!
Brownies, fudge, cookies too!!!
Anything worth baking is better with walnuts....If you need to dole some out, give me a call. We can eat fudge AFTER the holidays, right?!
I vote for cookies, and brownies.
cookies and brownies...and then bring them to my house!
thats so funny sorry!
Give them to me.
JK!
You could put split the bag up into 1/2 c. sizes (whatever amount is in your favorite recipes), put in baggies and put them in your freezer.
Presto! Another supply of protein in your food storage.
I will take whatever you make with them.
I just throw the whole bag in the freezer. They last forever that way. If left at room temperature they'll go rancid faster.
Walnuts go well with chocolate. But I also love them in banana bread, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin bread.
Funny thing, I'm allergic to raw store-bought walnuts. I have to have them cooked. But I'm not allergic to fresh walnuts from the farmer's market, my mother-in-law's tree, or off the ground. Maybe your kids are on to something.
One other thought, tell them they can't have any and that they're all for you. Then watch them disappear. ;)
You could take them and drop them on the ground so they'll pick them up and eat them....But if they're shelled, you'd have to put them ON something. besides the ground..
Post a Comment