I've always know that Lance is a fabulous teacher. Every time I've witnessed him teach, I am impressed. I gotta say, though, he makes an even more incredibly amazing coach. Awe-inspiring, really.
He told the kids at the beginning of the season, "Some coaches tell the kids, 'We are just going to go out there and have fun.' But what's fun?" And they all answered, "Winning!" So he told them, "We are going to work hard and win."
They didn't win all their games.
But they worked hard.
And they played hard.
And they won a lot.
On nights when they had football practice, I would go into Cory's room at bed time. He'd lay down and complain that his muscles hurt. Then he'd pause a moment and say, "I'm really glad dad is our coach."
I am, too. I love when my kids have rockin' coaches.
This picture was taken on the day of the championships, at the beginning of the semi-finals.
Yep--- most of these kids are wearing SHORTS. And a lot of them, just T-shirts.
And then it started to rain. But, at the end of the game, THEY HAD WON!!!
They were thrilled. And a little drenched.
Okay, maybe a LOT drenched. They had rain dripping off their hair, ears, noses... It looked like they were all in the middle of a freezing cold shower.
Then they went straight into the championship game. That's when the rain really came down. And the wind blew. I was subbing the one extra player in and out, so I got out our biggest umbrella and stuck it in the ground. Whenever a kid came out, I wrapped a blanket around them, gave them a towel to dry their face and hair. They tried to get as warm as possible for four plays before running back out to knock them dead again. Every one of them likes to play every single play. But I sure saw a lot of HUGE looks of relief on faces when they knew it was their turn to come under the umbrella!
And in the end, all their hard work paid off.
They won!

6 comments:
That's so cool, they look like they are freezing in the rain!!
That is really awesome!! Lance and the whole team should be proud!
That's awesome!!! The trophy's looked cool! They did a great job. Sorry we missed most of it, but the rain sent us away.
My dad was my coach growing up, and it was so awesome. I'm glad that your husband takes the time to get involved. Your kids will remember this forever. Way to go on the championship!
Way to go! That awesome!
I just loved to read this post. I loved all of your pictures, you caught so many expressions and excitement with those drenched kid. I love the handing out of those huge tropheys. That has to been one of those things they will always remember.
Post a Comment