<---Looking for my writing blog Will Write For Cookies? There's a handy little link to it just over there on the left-hand side.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Ever Have a Hard Time Not Laughing?

My middle child, the adorable hunk of little boy that he is, has been experiencing Middle Child Syndrome lately. Especially the feeling-like-he-is-getting-picked-on-from-both-directions part. As a result, he has had a severe case of the Poor Me's (as my mom used to call it. Actually, I take it back-- she still calls it that).

My kids seem to be driving each other nuts for the pure sport of it lately, and this child was complaining of some song lyrics that his siblings changed not in his favor. Rude, I know, but really, they weren't something you'd consider negative and get all offended about. But, when you feel like you are getting it piled on you, I guess each shovel full bugs you (even if it was a Barbie-sized shovel). I told him that some of these things are just sibling things, and he needed to learn to just ignore it.

He responded with a "Then why do I get in trouble for doing it and they never do?"

My youngest walked into the room just before this and said, matter-of-factly, "Well, duh. It's because we don't get caught."

Out of the mouths of babes. Isn't it so hard sometimes to not laugh at incredibly inappropriate times?

4 comments:

i'm erin. said...

hahahaha...that is right, he needs to learn how to pester, annoy, and torment and not get caught. After my many years of being raised as a middle child, I have truly adapted and adopted these skills wisely.

Shelby said...

Erin--I never really thought about you as a middle child. It explains a lot, actually. Hmmmm, Peggy, said middle child is also within the notorious age range of professional whiners. It's where kids forget how to speak in a normal tone of voice. Everything has that EDGE to it. It's also where unconditional love must be most ardently employed. Good thing you're good at that!!

Peggy Eddleman said...

Tammy- you called it so well! "Professional Whiner" just coins this age so well! I also have the problem of said youngest being smack in the thick of the "Professional Antagonist" age, and unfortunately, she was immediately endowed with all the experience of those who came before her. Stick a Professional Antagonist in a room with a Professional Whiner, and it's bound to not be pretty.

Shelby said...

If you throw in the Professional "Know-it-all" you have what we call "A Perfect Storm" This is why therapeutic foods were invented--Chocolate, Coke/Pepsi, certain liquors......