<---Looking for my writing blog Will Write For Cookies? There's a handy little link to it just over there on the left-hand side.

Sunday, June 7, 2009

I'm Off to See the Wizards

For the next five days, I get to go to one of the rockinest writing conferences in the country, Writers for Young Readers, a conference filled with authors, editors, and agents that are wizards in their field. How cool is it to live in a area where the writers per capita ratio is so high that this amazing conference is a mere 20 minutes from my home? (Course, I wouldn't mind going to one of the other top writing conferences in the country-- Maui Writers Conference.)

I am so EXCITED / NERVOUS, I can hardly stand it! I mean, there will be editors there from Random House, Bloomsbury, and Harper Collins, and I will get a chance to pitch my book to them! If you couldn't really care less who publishers are, I'd like to take a moment to say, THEY'RE HUGE! Hence the nervous part. Although, I'm pretty darn excited about the rocking authors that are coming.


To prepare, I've made a list, and checked it at least twice.

  • Decided which workshop classes to go to...... Check.
  • Packed lots of munchies...... Check.
  • Wrote out a detailed list of what needs to happen with my kids while I'm gone..... Check.
  • Finished my book...... Okay, so not check. (I really tried, though. And I'm close. But I promised Heavenly Father that I would do everything I could to never let my writing compulsion negatively impact my family. Finishing would have negatively impacted my family. I figure HF will look out for me from here.)
  • Edited my first three chapters, just in case someone asks me to submit it (and cross fingers that they will)..... Check.
  • Stood in the line in heaven where apparently they handed out kids and a spouse that are supportive way beyond what I could ever dream they'd be..... Check.

So, why do I feel so UN-ready?

4 comments:

Melanee said...

It's a big step... it's up and at 'em from here on out. You will do awesome. And we are all here to support in you in any way that we can. Just listen for the cheering on. Good luck and have a blast!

Janet said...

I hope you have fun, glad your book is about done, I hope they like it. (did you see I used 2 comma's and a period, WOW) ha ha

tammy said...

Those HUGE publishers are just WAITING for you to walk in the door! Not only do you have a supportive family, but lots of supportive friends who can't wait for you to publish a book we can obsess over! Have fun!

Julie said...

Peg, I am so proud of you! You are just a wonder to me. I wonder where you come from and where you got all that talent. I am so happy you are able to go.