<---Looking for my writing blog Will Write For Cookies? There's a handy little link to it just over there on the left-hand side.

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Writing Group Wonders

I met with my writing group last week, and we discussed three of the chapters toward the end of my book. I learned three things:

1. That the ending four chapters (of which I have written three, and completely planned the fourth) aren't going to completely satisfy all reader expectations.

2. That I would never, EVER write a book--- especially the end of one--- without having a writing group critique it. My ending was perfectly satisfying to my inner reader. I'm so glad to know that it needs changing to satisfy others. I am incredibly grateful that I have a completely honest writing group that will let me know when something isn't working out like I thought it was.

3. That the ending of a book is the hardest to write--- not the beginning. Sure, the beginning has to shine and sparkle and grab the reader. Sure, it has to have a unique voice and introduce engaging characters that you'll want to love, and set up the plot in a way that will pull you along and make you want to keep reading. Sure, it has to paint a setting you'll want to hang out in. And sure, they're the only chapters an editor / agent will look at to decide if they want to see more of your book.

But an ending... Ahh, the ending. It has to make a reader fulfilled. Satisfied. Happy they read the book. Dying to read something else of yours.

Curse you, ending!!!

After taking a two week break to work on another project, I guess it's time I got back to the drawing board.

P.S. I think I've finally chosen a title for my book! As long as it still seems to be all that and a bag of chips by morning, I'll announce who the winner is then.

2 comments:

i'm erin. said...

Dang Peggy, I'm sorry to have dropped the bomb on you like that...what I would suggest to make it easier is just make a whole lot of crazy crap happen so it's a huge cliff hanger and just end it that way. Then you can solve it all in book 2.

tammy said...

Ha! Erin! You're funny....

Peggy--you're totally right. Nothing makes me more frustrated than investing my limited time reading a book, then being under-whelmed by the ending. I know if a beginning stinks, and don't mind chucking a book based on that, but I hate it if I build it up in my mind because it's actually a good plot and good writing, and then feel gipped by a bad conclusion. I don't envy you authors at all, trying to make all us readers happy!