<---Looking for my writing blog Will Write For Cookies? There's a handy little link to it just over there on the left-hand side.

Monday, October 5, 2009

Are ALL junior high teachers like this?

I went to my first junior high parent teacher conference last week. Now, since I don't have any previous experience to compare this to, I'm wondering if my experience is normal or a fluke.

Kyle has 5 girl teachers (of which, 4 were at PT Conf.) and 3 boy teachers.


When I went to each of his girl teachers, the conversation went something like this:

Me: Hi. My son is Kyle.
Girl Teacher: Oh, yes. Kyle! He's in my _____ class, right?
Kyle is a ____ to have in class.
He is always so ____ with the other students.
The amount he pays attention and listens and actively participates in discussions is ____ much.
I can tell that he is putting forth ____ much effort.
He seems to pick up on concepts at this speed.
I really ____ my job because of him.

They dish on all of the things that DON'T show up on a progress report.


On the flip side, this is what happened when I went to the male teachers:

Me: "Hi. My son is Kyle."
Male Teacher: "What period?"
[I answer, they look through the stack, find his progress report, and slide it across the table to me.]
"Here are his grades. Any questions?"
Me: "Um.... No?"
Male Teacher: [Silence for about a full second, then they give a very pointed look. One that clearly says "Then why are you still sitting there? Leave. Now. Your thirty seconds are up. If I blink again and you're still sitting there, I may have to give your kid detention."]
Me: [Quickly gather papers, and think of saying "Sorry for taking your time," before I leave. Except I don't because I'm not actually sorry, I just feel awkward.]


I remember Junior High very well. I remember thinking that it takes a very special kind of teacher to handle the beasts that are junior high aged students.

So, to those of you who have had more experience with junior high aged kids.... Normal or fluke? I really am fine with either answer. If the "specialness" (and I am saying that in a very non-derogatory way) required to be a male junior high teacher comes hand in hand with an un-people oriented personality, I can accept that.

6 comments:

Shauna said...

I think that is normal. I got more reaction, though, from one male teacher although he also has a student teacher this semester and the ST was meeting with the other parents and looking at the progress report.

With The Girl's teachers, I get more of the female teacher response--regardless of their gender. Maybe it is a stidetn gender thing...nah, probably just a Jr High thing.

tammy said...

Three facts:

1. I could never teach jr. high
2. I'm not sure men should teach jr high. All the male teachers at the jr high have been there forever and are burnt out. Except Mr. Beck. But he could be on the path to burnt out.
3. I never go to parent teachers conference.

Bonus fact:

4. I really did not enjoy jr. high

kellieanne said...

There are a handful of teachers at the junior high that might be happier if they had a different profession - both male and female.

To answer your quesiton - I think it depends on the teacher. I have some male teachers that give me the basics and that's all . . . it usually when my kid is doing well and there is no more to say. I have male teachers that give me good info voluntarily. If I don't feel like I got enough, I press them for more info and I usually get it. There are a few exceptions, but for the most part I walk away with what I want.

To be honest, I totally like the short explanations of what's up with my kids. I kind of think like that most of the time anyways.

JaNae said...

I agree with Kelly.
The male science teacher I last met with taught my daughter last year too, and he still doesn't remember her name. He sticks to the facts, and proceeds to tell me what the next topics he will be covering in class. I have to admit my eyes got a little glazed over when he started talking about the anatomy of cells and the difference between plant and human cells....zzzzzzzz

i'm erin. said...

ha ha.

awesome! I so want his response if I ever teach class again.

Carterista said...

Thanks for the heads up. I'm trying to prepare myself for the unknown that is jr.high.