<---Looking for my writing blog Will Write For Cookies? There's a handy little link to it just over there on the left-hand side.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. No, wait....

School started yesterday. Was I ready? Heck, no! It was August 18th, for crying out loud! I feel sadness at the coming end of a precious commodity-- time. Time to do extra things with my kids. Not that there aren't good things about it, too... So here's what it is for me:

The Good:

My kids, who in the past week, have taken to annoying each other with a zeal that rivals any competition in the Olympics, will now have a bit of a break from one another.

As much as I think kids need a break during the summer, I also think that by the time school comes around, they start to crave a more scheduled day. And a chance to see friends more. And a chance to learn more. And feelings of accomplishment- the kind that come naturally with school.

All the things that I have been putting off getting done because it cuts into time spent with kids way too much, I can actually get done! Yard work, organizing my house (especially the toys! That one's so much easier done when a certain pack-rat isn't at home), plumbing, a little writing (ooo-- got a little giddy there), and the rest of my incredibly long list.

I get to go to school, too! (Giddy once again)

The Bad:

There's just not enough time! You know, for going to the park, to museums, for activities, for all that.

There are things about school that are tough for a parent-- keeping on top of homework, helping kids deal with teacher problems or problems with other kids....

Having to deal with the daily begging to stay home from a couple of kids. :-(

The Ugly: No, wait!! That's not ugly at all!!

My boys HATE school. A lot. I went to pick them up yesterday, steeled and ready to hear their barrage of complaints. This is what I heard:

Cory: [extremely enthusiastically] "I LOVE fourth grade! My teacher is the best teacher EVER!! Everything is so much better in fourth grade! I LOVE fourth grade! I can't wait to go again!"

Kyle: [equally extremely enthusiastically] "I have the nicest, kindest teacher! He complimented me twice in front of the class today, and he really hates bullies! School used to seem like it was this long [he held his hands about two feet apart], but in sixth grade, it's only this long [he shortened it to about 8 inches]. And, I get to be buddies with Megan [an unbelievably adorable girl with autism], and I get to help her so she doesn't have to have a teacher by her all the time! It is so cool! I LOVE sixth grade!"

I almost cried. BOTH of my school haters having wonderful teachers who have already changed their views on school. Both could hardly wait for today to come, so they could go again. I think I may be in heaven. Seriously. I think I hear a harp in the distance. And choirs of angels singing Hallelujah.

So, here's my kids in the ubiquitous front porch first day of school pose. (Btw, isn't it kind of cool that so many of us have the same tradition?!). Some day I'm going to have to line up each of these pictures, just to see how they have grown.


This is the one and only year that I will have all three kids going to the same school, going to school at the same time, and coming home at the same time. This picture will be my forever reminder of the perfect year.


This is Alecia's first time having lunch during school! She wanted me to be there, but I was late (curse the 35 minute checkout line at Wal Mart!!). I was worried that she would be freaking out, but I came in and saw a very peaceful, contented little girl who was eating ten times better than she ever eats at home. Everything was perfect in her mind.

4 comments:

kellieanne said...

Love the packrat comment and can sooooo relate! And can I say, PLEASE write more!! You have such a gift and I get giddy thinking of future tales release from your pen!

You have expressed concern in the past about your kids not liking the school thing. How much of a relief you must feel tonight as you lay your head down to rest knowing you don't have to try and convince them in the morning that school is where they want to be.

The Gubler Family Blog! said...

I know what you mean. Alex was so excited to start shool. I swear he was smiling so hard I thought his face would crack. haha. He loves the kids in his class and loves having kids that he knows from church and the neighborhood in there to talk to. I have never seen him so excited to go and learn and get together with other kids. He got soooo bored during the summer so he is loving this. It makes me so happy to see him after school and hear about what he did and what he ate for lunch. Thats his favorite part, is lunch time. It's so CUTE!

Shelby said...

Liking school makes all the difference! And how nice that they all go at the same time! I'm going to print up and laminate a schedule because three (no, SIX....dang early out day!) different time schedules I need to remember......and yes, please get writing! (lot's of ulterior motives here...)

Peggy Eddleman said...

This is a test to see if I can figure out how to post a link in a comment: Visit Pepsi