I've never read a Jane Austen book.
I've never even held one in my hands.
Never even looked at the cover of any of them.
Nor have I read Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, Little Women, or any others of that time period / genre. I've never even make it through the first Anne of Green Gables book.
Surprisingly, I've never had classes in junior high, high school, or college that have required me to read any classics other than Romeo and Juliet, and Of Mice and Men. Not that this is my excuse or anything. And by not having read any of these great literary classics, I do kind of feel that my status of a self-professed lover of literature is called into question. But they have been on my mental to-read list for quite some time.
They've just never enticed me enough to make it to the top. Or even near the top.
I have never watched the movie Sense and Sensibility. Or Emma. At the insistence of my sister (love ya, Kristine!), I watched Pride and Prejudice. I got done and thought, "Hmm. I guess you have to have read the book to enjoy that movie." I've since heard that is not true.
So maybe I just don't get it.
I don't understand the attraction to Mr. Darcy
I'm oblivious to the facination to Edward Ferrars

The endearment to Gilbert Blythe is lost on me
So, then I had recommended to me a book written by a great author. The book is called Austenland, and the author is Shannon Hale. Have I mentioned that I love Shannon Hale? And have I mentioned that you should go get one of her books *right now* and read it? Shannon Hale is a funny girl. And with a more real-life book like Austenland (as opposed to her more fairy-tale books), she was really able to let her funny side show. I figured if anyone could help me understand this Regency world (or whatever it is you call it), she could.
I still don't get it.
So, I figured there are two possible reasons why I don't get it.
Reason #1. I am hopelessly unromantic. And I have to say that this is an entirely possible reason. It may just be that instead of curtsies, tea, polite conversations, and man-to-rescue-me thoughts, I need my heroine to be able to kick a little hiney. And to possibly save someone. Or a group of someones. Or the world. Or even herself. Okay, I'll give that last one to Austenland. I'm really not against love stories. Maybe I just need action, too.
Reason #2. I haven't been properly introduced to this world. And this is another entirely possible reason. If I haven't, what is the best way to be introduced? Watch a really great movie? Start with a book that is sure not to fail? If you love all this stuff, what do you suggest? I promise I will give it a good try.


7 comments:
I would probably be no help to you whatsoever, as I am a total sucker for these types of stories and would not be able to discuss them without bias.
Someone with strong biases is exactly what I need! WHY are you a total sucker for these stories? What got you hooked?
hahahaha..I am reading your austenland right now, and I love it! I totally get sucked into these stories and compare my entire life to those characters. Like Twilight, for example, how come I don't have a bloodsucking cold and hard as a rock hubby, that breaks all the furniture when we are (insert fist). oh, and how come my best friends aren't werewolves? Or are they? Celia? Peggy? Tammy? Kellie? (well Kellie does have quite the thick hair, but she lacks the size...maybe she is the runt of the litter...hahahahahahaha)
I think the reason is a little of both. I love pride & prejudice, but dislike a lot of the other ones. But then again, I only read what YOU tell me to... so we'll see.
I love all of the items you mentioned! I like that they get themselves in a quandary and have to figure it out. I love that the most improbable match turns out to be the best thing out there for them. The women are all very strong women - in their own way.
The movie EMMA with Gwyneth Paltrow is funny.
The Pride and Prejudice I like best was the short version with Keira Knightley. Don't get me wrong, I loved the other two versions I saw also, I just like Kiera's "Lizzy" best.
Just a side note - I don't like chick flicks. These movies are the closes thing I will ever watch. I prefer kick butt and action movies much more.
Apparently I like a mix of movies. Does that make me a "mutt" as much as the "runt" of the litter, ERIN?
Oh Peggy....
I reserve the right to believe that everyone is allowed their own opinions, especially regarding Ms. Austen's work in particular, but if you haven't a chance to love it yet--just wait the right moment will come in your life when you have to ask yourself..."What would JANE do?!"
In the meantime, Mr. Colin Firth, I mean, Mr. Darcy sets my heart aflutter--and that is usually good news for Dear Husband too. ;)
I loved Austenland--and get to share it with my slightly uptight, think they are very intellectual, a bit out of league book club in June. Wish me luck with that--no converts to be seen, I am afraid.
Love Jan or not--Either way, you can still be my friend.
:) Shauna
I'm as (ab)normal as you are! I've only seen the Pride & Predjudice w/Kiera Knightley, and I thought it was good, but it didn't make me an Austen fan. I never could get into the "Work and the Glory" series either. I have a hard time getting into the language of Jane Austen, but I can read Lord of the Rings over & over. go fig. There's nothing wrong w/you! It is interesting to find these things out tho.
Post a Comment