Maybe it’s because for a few years, starting when I was a toddler, my parents took care of birth moms. They were girls who got pregnant, but their parents didn’t want anyone to know. So, they’d send them away to live somewhere else until the baby was born and placed for adoption. My parents had an incredible love for and admiration of these young ladies.
Maybe it’s because I’ve seen so many girls who placed a baby for adoption, and used the experience as a catalyst to truly become someone great.
Maybe it’s because I’ve seen so many girls keep their baby, and through the process of having to grow up so quickly, never got the chance become all that they had the potential to become.
Maybe it's because I've known some downright amazing families with adopted children in the mix.
And maybe it’s because for the past six years, I’ve watched my sister walk the path that led to adopting a baby.
Would I have been able to place my baby for adoption? If I had made different choices and found myself a pregnant seventeen year old, would I have been able to place Kyle in the hands of a loving couple, and walk away? I don’t know. I’d really like to think that I would have make that choice.
But holy cow, that’d be hard. Really hard. Heart breakingly hard. Traumatically hard. Every-step-of-the-way hard.
Yet this girl is doing it, and I love her for that alone.

She also happens to be smart, beautiful, funny, talented, a talent developer, and she is something I always wanted to be, but never came close to being— a gymnast. And she's taken wonderful care of the baby growing in her tummy for the past nine months, and she cares a great deal for her.
And it’s not just her that is making this huge sacrifice. The birth father has been in this with her every step of the way. Her mother was never able to have more than two kids, and even though she still wants more, she is standing by her daughter in her decision. It's been really hard for her. I can’t imagine how hard. The birth father’s parents are unbelievably supportive, too.
This very afternoon, this amazing girl is going to hand over her bundle of joy to my sister.
A baby. A human baby. A little girl. A daughter.
I love this girl for making my sister’s and my brother-in-law’s dream come true.
Today, my sister is a mom.

9 comments:
That is wonderful! I am so excited for you, as an aunt. I am so excited for Kristine and Drew!!! Thanks for the tribute.
This is amazing. What a wonderful gift! I am so happy for Drew & Kristine.
Did you have to make me cry this morning so early in the day? I am beyond happy for your whole family. That is one amazing gift!!!! Camille is an amazing girl!!!! Such a selfless thing to do!!!
Thanks Peggy! I always like to start my day with a good healthy cleansing of the tear ducts!
Seriously, I am beyond ecstatic for Kristine & Drew! I have also always wondered if I could ever make the same decision that my birth mom did. Especially today, when there are so many more options for single moms.
To Camille: As an adopted daughter with a birth mom out there that I will likely never meet in this life, I say--Bless you.
I have felt gratitude beyond measure for the life that I have. A life that would have taken me on an entirely different path had I not peen placed with my adopted family. When I try to picture what that may be like, and I'm sure it would have been fine, I still can't imagine no Jason, no 7 children, no excellent friends. I feel like I wouldn't be me!
I give limitless credit to the young girl (16!) who made such a selfless decision. And I give the same credit to Camille. I have never once felt like a 'given-up' child. I have only ever felt like I ended up where I was supposed to be and was part of someone's journey of learning on the way.
No one ever deserved to be a mother more than Kristine. I am so excited to watch it happen!
I am now off to repair some make-up damage.....
You totally made me cry Peggy! This is the 1st time I have heard of Kristine adopting a baby. I am so so happy for Kristine. I have always looked up to her as I grew up and she is still a great person to me. Tell her congrats for me ok? I wish I knew Camille, she seems like an awesome girl. I'm sure she will do great things in her life besides this.
That was truly great Peggy, I makes me cry to think of the sacrifice Camille is making to give the baby a better life, for her and the baby. And make the dreams come true to another couple.
There is amazing kindness and sacrifice in this life that is wonderful and healing to the human soul!
Adoption is possibly the most wonderous of all gifts. What a blessing to have a birth mom and dad and an adoptive mom and dad who love you so very much! Here's sending love to all of them.
Peggy you have said everything the only thing I can say is "WOW" and I am truly blessed to be a part of this family. Love all of you guys
Post a Comment