<---Looking for my writing blog Will Write For Cookies? There's a handy little link to it just over there on the left-hand side.

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

All addictions are NOT created equal

On Sunday, some missionaries from the church's Addiction Recovery Program came to talk with our ward. (And, all joking aside, it sounds like an amazing program that could benefit virtually everyone in the world to varying degrees.)

They talked about how it isn't just for the three or four addictions that probably first came to your mind. It's also for addictions like yelling at your kids, having unhealthy eating habits, exercise addictions, gaming addictions, unhealthy relationships, and several more that I just can't think of right now.

And they said that often, when trying to rid yourself of an addiction, you just end up replacing it with another.

So, it got me thinking that maybe I'd like to trade in my Diet Coke addiction for an exercise addiction. That trade would sure make my jeans fit a whole lot better.

But then I got thinking. My Diet Coke addiction takes almost NO time each day. An exercise addiction would take, what? An hour or two every day? So then I got thinking that maybe I shouldn't be coveting other addictions, and maybe I should just be happy with what I have.

Ooo. Unless I could get a laundry folding addiction. Cuz dang. I could really use that.

6 comments:

Kristine said...

Good idea! I'm not ready to trade my Mt. Dew addiction. Why? Because it's not an addiction. I could quit any time if I wanted to. I could!
Hahahahahaha!

JoMamma said...

I love how you thought through trading Diet Coke for exercise. You were so right Diet Coke is not taking the time that exercise would.

I think I'm addicted to sleep. I always want more of it. I think about it all the time. Talking about it right now makes me want a nap.

tammy said...

You just made me feel a whole lot better! We really shouldn't be coveting other addictions! You are genius!

Carterista said...

I'm sorry I missed that meeting. I knew the program was broad, but that broad? Didn't know it.
I'm with JoAnn, addicted to sleep. It takes a lot of time, but that's one thing I like. Sleeping the time away (aka procrastinating facing life.) hehe.

Peggy said...

I could never be addicted to sleep because it does take so much time.

It's funny that you sleep to procrastinate life--- prolonging the amount of time before the next day is exactly why Lance and I end up going to bed much later than we should almost every night!

Hm... Maybe we have a sleep deprivation addiction!

Julie said...

Peggy, you just make me laugh. That was so funny and sounded just like yourself.