<---Looking for my writing blog Will Write For Cookies? There's a handy little link to it just over there on the left-hand side.

Friday, October 23, 2009

Dress Up Difficulty

This is the first year since I was 18 and working at a fast food restaurant that I have been REQUIRED to dress up for Halloween.

I’m not a big fan of being REQUIRED, especially when it’s something that I stink at. I’ve narrowed it down to three choices, though. Maybe you can help me.

1– A BAT. Classic Halloween, here. It’s a fairly easy costume to make— simple black shirt with wings sewn into the arms seams and down the side seams. Black headband with ears. Black pants.

Added bonus: When I am running down the hill at recess to stop a fight or to help a hurt kid, I can feel like I am flying! And who wouldn’t want to fly?

2– AN 80s GIRL. ‘Cause I once was. Big hair looking perm-ish, bright lipstick, big earrings, pegged pants, slouch socks, waist belt.

Added bonus: The bin full of earrings I kept can actually be of some use. Plus, who doesn’t love the occasional flashback to big hair?

3– A ZOMBIE. Torn, raggedy clothing that I would have to somehow make look dirty without actually being dirty.

Added bonus: When I wake up in the morning, my hair looks pretty zombie-ish. So, one less thing to do. Plus, Zombies are HOT! I’m talking smokin’. Mark my words: Vampires = out, Zombies = in. Let me explain. Both crave something from humans that humans kinda need to live. Vampires need blood, Zombies need brains. That’s bad, and of course, makes us not love either.

...EXCEPT for the good vampires, of course. The good vampires we tend to love. Some of us may love Edward... or maybe someone from that show Vampire Diaries... or Angel.... or Spike more than them all... The point is, we hear stories of good vampires, and we love them.

What we DON’T hear is stories of good Zombies. But I’m convinced they’re out there (the good Zombies, not the stories of good Zombies). So, I could be a GOOD Zombie. One who really struggles against my inner bad self, and somehow finds a diet that doesn’t include human brains. Then I find a way to live amongst humans without caving to my desire for brains and endangering the lives of those around me. I swear I’d bathe every day and I’d find a perfume that would mask the rotting flesh smell.

Plus, who doesn’t love people who walk with their arms outstretched and a leg dragging behind them? Like I said, hot.

So, help me out? Please? There’s a handy poll on the side bar toward the top where you can vote for one of the three, OR if you’re more creative than I and have another idea, please leave it in the comments.

Ooo. And for fun, if you’re dressing up, tell me what you’re being in the comments! I’d love to hear.

7 comments:

Carterista said...

Peggy, I really just can't get over your "voice." I could read your writing all day. You are THAT fun to read! I'll think about the choices. Don't know what I'll be yet. I usually like to either shock and awe or get a substitute, which includes dressing up as my own substitute. :)

Janet said...

the 80's I'm having flashbacks from when we were kids, don't forget about the bangs that stick straight up

Kristine said...

I voted for the 80's girl. Lance would LOVE that too!

JoMamma said...

If you do go with 80s I saw some pants at walmart that would be awesome.

JaNae said...

You could always dress up in a fancy dress and wear a crown and write on a sash
Miss Understood OR
Miss Allaneous
You get the idea :)

Or just dress up normally and say you are a werewolf and the moon is not out....

Julie said...

Although I have a clear memory of you in the 80's and you always looked great, but your version of the 80's was shorts everyday to school and that would get pretty cold. The cold didn't bother you when you were a teenager but I bet it would now. I going vote for the bat, flying down the hall sounds really fun to me and in the 70's you looked cute as a bat.

tammy said...

I think you would make zombie look GOOD! I missed my last, best chance at painting my belly to look like a jack-o-lantern. Oh well.