<---Looking for my writing blog Will Write For Cookies? There's a handy little link to it just over there on the left-hand side.

Thursday, February 4, 2010

A New Inner Editor Set Up Shop In My Brain

Remember THIS POST where I talked about my inner editor, Miss Stakeless, and how I wanted to get her fired?


Well guess what? She quit!! I started this new book, and she said, "I'm way too old for this. I really can't make it through another one of your books." We had a tearful goodbye, and then she left.

So, I called Dood on his cell phone and asked if he wanted the job.


He was in Australia, shredding some serious waves. He said that he was unwilling to leave such perfect crests, but more importantly, I wasn't ready for him as an inner editor yet. (Whatever, Dood.)

For someone who seems so one track minded, he can be surprisingly astute. And he did recommend someone else to do the job. I am happy to report that I hired her.

She's an Editing Magician, or E.M., but she likes it when I call her "Auntie Em."



So far, we've gotten along great! I give her free roam of the brain kitchens, and she likes to bake cookies while I write. My brain likes the smell of cookies while it works. While I'm writing a first draft, she only stops by to tell me I used a passive voice, or that I haven't varied my sentence structure enough every 9 to 11 minutes, instead of constantly, like Miss Stakeless did.

I love her. I love her cookies. I love her smiling face. I hope she likes living in my brain. I gave her a room with lots of windows, where there is always sunshiny days. There are big, comfy chairs, and lots of yarn for knitting. I even placed her in the part of my brain furthest from my imagination, so she can go for an evening stroll and not worry about bad guys or monsters suddenly appearing on the paths through my brain.

Until she's ready to retire, or I'm ready to have Dood for an inner editor, I hope we can do good things together.

4 comments:

Taffy said...

LOL! Awesome post, Peggy! Auntie EM sounds really nice. I haven't got a first name basis with mine. He lurks around and randomly asks me, "Why are you writing again? Because you really stink." Maybe if I learned his name we would get along better. :)

Kristine said...

She sounds nice!

tammy said...

Ha! You sound like that one commercial where people try on different "mom's"! And, mmmmm.........I like cookies!

Julie said...

Peg, I love you new look and I like Auntie Em, not so buggy and checks in on you, and make you feel good, just what you need. Glad you found her.