<---Looking for my writing blog Will Write For Cookies? There's a handy little link to it just over there on the left-hand side.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

You chose WHAT kind of animal?!

Alecia's second grade class did their first animal report. They wrote it, typed it, and then were assigned to do an art project at home depicting the animal they chose.

So, what kind of animal do you suppose an eight year old girl chose?

A puppy?
A kitty?
A pony?
A unicorn?
A bunny?

Or perhaps something sinister?

Something that greatly pushes the definition of "animal?"

Something that might make her mom SQUIRM, possibly SCREAM, and definitely GET THE WILLIES?

Yes, folks, that's right. My daughter chose to do her animal report on a Black Widow. I'm not even kidding. My daughter. How is it possible that she even has the genes to do the research on that kind of thing? Don'tcha think that my phobias would have at least rubbed off on her a little? For my sake?

Or, at least make her not choose to do a sculpture as her art project...


But, I'm proud to announce that I only got weirded out enough to almost drop the spider and cause lots and lots of work to be undone four times. And no spiders were harmed during the weirding out. I think I'm making progress. Before you know it, I'll be able to touch a book with a spider picture on it.

Maybe.


Okay, seriously. Doesn't this freak you out a little? I can't believe I'm even putting a picture of this on my blog. Does it help you to know that it's just foil, wire, sculptey clay, and paint?

Yeah, it doesn't help me, either.


Cuz gosh. I'd sure not like to run into this guy in a dark alley. Or in a well-lit kitchen.

6 comments:

tammy said...

I'd agree that it's a little creepy. Or a lot creepy....it's a little hard to put my mental picture of Alecia together with her macabre (hehehe!) tendencies.....she's so, um..adorable? I question that word now.....how about fascinatingly, creatively beautiful?

Kristine said...

Alecia makes me laugh! Funny thing is - it's hard to get your mom's help when it's something she hates! ha ha!

RaShelle Workman said...

This is excellent! LOL. My now 10 year old was into princesses AND spiders and she still is. A girly-girl/tom-boy. It's alot of fun but does make for interesting projects. It looks like ya did good mom. LOL

i'm erin. said...

Alright, I'm thinking pretty soon I'm going to need to step into the parenting department here and take over. My girl will only be allowed to wear pink and play with unicorns...and all that girly crap.

JoMamma said...

Way to go! I guess this is part of parenting getting to overcome some of our fears in order to help our kids.

Ella said...

It is pretty creepy! But what a great decoration for Halloween!!! Some phobias you can get past, but spiders NO not me!! I use to be so afraid of snakes but I have gotten over some of that fear, I still get creeped out a bit but when they are in your garden I guess I have to learn to get a long. I actually held a small one the other day.