I really LOVE reading books written by Utah authors! It makes me feel.... Patriotic. Loyal. Supportive. And extra happy when they write great books and are doing well! Here's my faves from this summer:
Brandon Sanderson
This summer, I read Mistborn and Well of Ascension. I never would have picked up one of this author's books if my friend, Cecilia hadn't completely stepped off the face of the planet for a week when she was reading Mistborn. It made me want to experience the book myself! And, he lives in Orem and was teaching at BYU, so that gave my all the extra motivation I needed. It's a much more manly book than I normally read (translation: My husband would likely a) read it, b) love it, and c) be proud of me for reading it).


It was completely mind-boggling to me how many hundreds and hundreds of hours he must have spent just working this book out in his head-- not even including the time spent writing it! Both books are quite amazing. The third and last in this series is out in October. I was thrilled when I started reading book 2 that book 3 would be out so soon, but by the time I finished book 2, I realized that October is WAY TOO LONG A WAIT!
Plus, there's something apealing about an author who I could look up in the phone book, find his address, drive to his house in a short amount of time, knock on his door, and have him sign my book (I haven't actually done this, because he probably isn't listed, and that knowledge would completely destroy a perfectly good mental illusion).
Shannon Hale
Ahh. Shannon Hale. I read The Goose Girl and River Secrets, and I am in the middle of reading Princess Academy. Her books are so enjoyable to read! It makes you feel like you are wrapped up in a warm quilt on a bed of pillows being told a fairy tale by someone with a great voice. Her writing style is so... yummy. It makes you want to read it slow just so you can drink in the imagery... and then lick the cup when you are done! I think even if her books were plotless, they would still be mo
re than worth the read. But, as an added bonus, the plot line
s are great!!
I wouldn't be being a good friend if I didn't give you this advice: Log on to your library's website right now, and put your name on the waiting list for one of her books (because you will have to wait). Any one will do. (Although, for the Bayern books, you really should aim for The Goose Girl first, then Enna Burning, then River Secrets) And enjoy! If you've read some of her books before, get another. I'm sure you'll find a way to thank me later. ;-)
Brandon Mull
I read Fablehaven to my kids earlier in the year, and we are in the middle of reading Fablehaven II right now. Although I don't love his writing style, I do love the story! I think it is very creative and fun and imaginative. My kids and I have really enjoyed reading them! The Candy Shop Wars, anot
her of this author's, is on our list of to-reads.
I generally feel that it is my responsibility, MY DUTY!! To read Utah Authors. Are there any others I should be reading?

1 comment:
I Love Fablehaven!
Voyagerkid Out!
Post a Comment