Ever wonder why infomercial type commercials advertise during kid shows? Especially when they are advertising products that only adults use? Because it's freekin advertising genius!!! I can't tell you how many times my kids have tried to sell me on products they have seen on tv. I have heard comments like, "You know, mom, our dishes would actually sparkle if we used ___ brand of dishwasher detergent." Or, "If we bought ___ containers, you wouldn't have such a hard time finding a lid. They have handy interlocking lids, and they even have their own holder that spins!" I tell you, they (the advertising gurus) specifically think of how they are going to amaze kids with how much easier and better their family's lives would be when using their products. So, this is what went down today... (and keep in mind that I have never seen nor heard of this product before, so I don't even know what it looks like)
The setup:
I was watering my plethora of potted plants, and was feeling a bit too lazy to lug the hose up to my patio. So, I decided to water them from my kitchen sink. I didn't want to use a pitcher to water them, because there really wasn't room for it in my dishwasher (the feeling lazy thing, you know), so I grabbed two used cups and filled them up. It took quite a few trips out to the patio to water everything (I guess I didn't really think the lazy thing through very well). The whole time, Alecia was watching me curiously.
The conversation:
Alecia: "Mom, why are you making so many trips out there with water?"
Me: "Because the dirt is really dry."
Alecia: "Haven't you been watering them?"
Me: "Yep, I watered them yesterday. They just need it every day."
Alecia: [Excitedly, after I witnessed nearly tangible evidence of that metaphorical lightbulb going on in her head] "Do you know what you need? Aqua Globe!!"
Me: "What's that?"
Alecia: "You put it in your plants, and it helps keep them stay watered perfectly for days, so there is less work for you. And it's only $5.95 plus shipping and handling."
Cory: [Equally excited] "Yeah, and each one is hand-crafted, and they have this special way of figuring out how much water the soil needs, so you never over-water OR under-water!"
Kyle: [Just as excited as the other two] "And, if you call them today, then you can get two extra, and you only have to pay for the shipping!"
I was pretty surprised that they didn't give me the 1-800 number as well.
Must. Find. Some. Way.... to harness my kids' remarkable powers of retention and use them for the forces of good!
The setup:
I was watering my plethora of potted plants, and was feeling a bit too lazy to lug the hose up to my patio. So, I decided to water them from my kitchen sink. I didn't want to use a pitcher to water them, because there really wasn't room for it in my dishwasher (the feeling lazy thing, you know), so I grabbed two used cups and filled them up. It took quite a few trips out to the patio to water everything (I guess I didn't really think the lazy thing through very well). The whole time, Alecia was watching me curiously.
The conversation:
Alecia: "Mom, why are you making so many trips out there with water?"
Me: "Because the dirt is really dry."
Alecia: "Haven't you been watering them?"
Me: "Yep, I watered them yesterday. They just need it every day."
Alecia: [Excitedly, after I witnessed nearly tangible evidence of that metaphorical lightbulb going on in her head] "Do you know what you need? Aqua Globe!!"
Me: "What's that?"
Alecia: "You put it in your plants, and it helps keep them stay watered perfectly for days, so there is less work for you. And it's only $5.95 plus shipping and handling."
Cory: [Equally excited] "Yeah, and each one is hand-crafted, and they have this special way of figuring out how much water the soil needs, so you never over-water OR under-water!"
Kyle: [Just as excited as the other two] "And, if you call them today, then you can get two extra, and you only have to pay for the shipping!"
I was pretty surprised that they didn't give me the 1-800 number as well.
Must. Find. Some. Way.... to harness my kids' remarkable powers of retention and use them for the forces of good!

5 comments:
Ha ha ha! I am seriously laughing out loud! They are such cuties! You are right, those advertisers are geniuses!
I HEAR YOU!!! AND I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!
I'm going to google Aqua Globe right after this. You and your kids have sold me on the product.
hahahahaa...I think that you need the aqua globe too. That sounds like a genius idea and I must get it now!
Would your kids like to advertise for my yard sale this weekend? No, seriously......
Post a Comment