<---Looking for my writing blog Will Write For Cookies? There's a handy little link to it just over there on the left-hand side.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Golf Balls, Rats, and Alligators, Oh My.

We have actual dollhouses at our house. Really! We do!

We just don't have dolls.

I have a theory that a girl needs at least one sister to fully activate the doll playing regions of the brain. (As I write this, I suddenly realized that I have TWO sisters, yet the doll playing regions of my brain were never activated. Hmm... Maybe I'll have to adjust my theory to include some genetics.)

But, not using dolls in dollhouses makes for MUCH more interesting games.

I checked on Alecia early yesterday morning, as she was playing alone in the small playroom under our stairs. She explained her game to me.

Alecia:
"See how each of these golf balls has a little number on them? That tells what floor they are staying on. [Apparently, the golf balls are the people in her game.] But, the golf balls can't leave their floor, [maybe because there are no stairs -?] so they have to have a maid bring food to them."

"The rats are the maids. Every golf ball has one, except for the two golf balls staying in the food room, because they don't need a maid. But, sometimes the rats don't get the food when they're supposed to, and the golf balls get really hungry. So, they end up eating the rats instead."

"But, [and this is said in her most regretful voice] then they have to get a new maid. And, the alligator is the new maid."


"But, if you take a bite out of him, he might just as likely take a bite out of you!"


For not the first time, I've wished I had just a little bit of my kids' imaginations.

2 comments:

Janet said...

were do they come up with all the ideas? she's a cutie

JoMamma said...

I see why you don't have any dolls. Who would want to stay in a place where rats and alligators take care of you...