<---Looking for my writing blog Will Write For Cookies? There's a handy little link to it just over there on the left-hand side.

Friday, July 17, 2009

Racers, Take the Track!

Ahh, the excitement of the Pinewood Derby.

Our LAST Pinewood Derby.

Cory’s scout leaders gave him his car kit at last month’s pack meeting. I figured “Eh, we’ve got a month. We don’t need to worry about it now...” Besides, the Pimper of Pinewoods, the Champion of Car Racing, the Wizard of Wood, all around Genius Woodshopper Bro. G was out of town on a two month trip and wouldn’t be back until a week before the race.

So, in my constant vigilance to win Mother of the Year, I figured I had nothing to worry about yet, and put the car away to never be thought of again...

That is, until we got the invitation the night before. (And by “invitation,” I really mean "reminder." It's not like we didn't know we were invited. And it's not like I couldn't have figured out the date on my own-- it's always the same time each month. Like I said, shooting for Mother of the Year.)

So, before he went to bed, Cory thought of how he was going to make his car the next afternoon.

"Mom, what do you think about me making my car look like a wedge of cheese?"

Personally? I thought the idea was BRILLIANT!!! It is so very Cory (cheese is cory's most used joke subject, enough so that kids in his class even call him the cheese man), it's unique, it's aerodynamic, and it's feasible enough to fit into an afternoon. Brilliant, I tell you!


Cory's grandpa dropped everthing to help Cory cut the wedge, Cory sanded it, painted it, and then did lots of extras at Bro. G's house. Things like turning the wheels and the nails on a lathe, sanding the wheels, adding the lead weight, and putting graphite on the nails. We owe a lot to these two helpful men!


It turned out to be a very distinctive car! And check out all the other great works of art from our group of cubs. Didn't they do fabulous? Pretty darn impressive.


Dreaming about how his car is going to go down the track in a blur!


Here's Bro. Genius himself. Check out the look of admiration on Cory's face. (Seriously. Click on the picture.)


Check it out! It did go down in a blur!


Anticipation!! Am I gonna win? Am I gonna win?


NO! I didn't! But, the crowd all chanting "Cheese! Cheese! Cheese!" every time I raced made it all okay.



5 comments:

Janet said...

Thats so awesome Cory! good job.

tammy said...

All those cars look awesome--but Cory's definitely stands out! I though it was excellent!

Shauna said...

What a great design! So clever...well, what else would you expect?!

Kristine said...

that is awesome! Good job Cory!

The Woff Pack said...

I think the derby ended up being a blast. I love how everyone rooted for Cory's car. There is nothing better than having a good spirit go with an activity like this. I think Cory helped tie everyone together.